Speech-Language Pathologist vs. Communicative Disorders Assistant (or Speech Language Pathology Assistant): What’s the Difference?

There are a variety of different professionals that can assist with your loved one’s communication development. At Two Can Talk, we have a team comprised of both speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and communicative disorders assistants (CDAs) also referred to as Speech Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) to help support an individual’s specific needs. SLPs and CDAs/SLPAs are both valuable members of the communication team!

What is the difference between a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) and a Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA)/Speech Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA)?

In simplest terms, an SLP is a licensed, registered professional who can assess your loved one’s needs as well as develop, modify or change their treatment goals. A CDA/SLPA is an individual qualified to provide treatment sessions under the SLP’s supervision.

In Ontario, SLPs have a Master’s Degree (or equivalent) and must be registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO).

CDAs/SLPAs are trained to complete hearing and speech-language screenings as well as provide individualized treatment. Under the supervision of a licensed SLP, CDAs/SLPAs can provide individual or group therapy sessions for a variety of different communication needs in children and adults. They are also able to assist SLPs when conducting speech and language assessments. CDAs have a post-graduate diploma in Communicative Disorders.

Advantages of receiving treatment by a CDA/SLPA:

There are a variety of reasons families may work with a CDA/SLPA, which can include, but are not limited to area of practice and budget. CDAs/SLPAs are highly trained to screen and provide treatment in all areas of speech and language. Since the focus of a CDA/SLPA’s education and profession is providing treatment sessions, they are often as qualified to plan and implement an awesome treatment session that is both fun and effective. Additionally, hourly rates with a CDA/SLPA are lower than SLP rates which could offer families a more cost-effective way of receiving therapy. At Two Can Talk, our staff can help determine whether working with a CDA best fits the needs of you and/or your loved one. For any further questions, please contact us.

Find more on: Speech Therapy for Children and Speech Therapy for Adults

Call us! 905-553-9533 | Email us: info@twocantalk.ca

Follow us on: FacebookInstagram and LinkedIn

Leave a Comment